Becoming a Physical Therapist Assistant in Utah
Physical therapy is becoming an ever more important component of the American healthcare sector. Due to the rise in the number of elderly individuals, an increasing number of veterans with traumatic combat related injuries, and an increased awareness of the importance of physical therapy’s role in any plan of rehabilitation, this field has seen dramatic growth.
Because of this, the need for physical therapist assistants has dramatically increased, making this profession extremely attractive to newly graduated students and individuals seeking to transition to a different career alike.
The Duties of the Physical Therapist Assistant
Physical therapy assistants have a wide range of duties. In general, they assist physicians, physical therapists and other medical professionals in developing and implementing a program of physical therapy that is appropriate for the patient’s needs. Among the most common duties a physical therapist assistant will engage in are the following:
- Carrying out a program physical therapy assigned by the supervising physical therapist and physician.
- Evaluating and reporting the patient’s progress to the supervising medical staff. This may include assisting the medical staff in modifying the physical therapy regimen for the patient.
- When the patient is discharged from the facility, training caregivers and family members in how best to continue exercises designed to restore full physical function to the patient.
- In the field of eldercare, providing exercises designed to stimulate both the physical bodies and minds of the elderly. This may require the physical therapist assistant to work with individuals who are suffering various types of senile dementia or degenerative mental disorders.
Becoming a Physical Therapist Assistant in Utah
Utah, like all states, only allows licensed physical therapist assistants to practice.
The Utah Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing requires that any applicants for licensure to complete the following steps:
- Complete an accredited physical therapy assistant program.
- Take and pass the National Physical Therapist Examination (NPTE).
- Take and pass the Utah Physical Therapist Law Examination.
- If the candidate is licensed as a physical therapist assistant in another state, he or she may seek licensure by endorsement.
The Physical Therapist Assistant Program
Physical therapist assistant programs are offered by community colleges and vocational schools. In most cases, these programs take approximately two years for a full-time student to complete, after which they are awarded an associates degree.
Many programs also offer part-time and distance learning options for those students who cannot attend on a full-time schedule, allowing working students to complete the program at their own pace.
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in Stevens-Henager College is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Respiratory Therapy (AAS)
Do you want a career that offers the satisfaction of helping people and a work environment that is positive and exciting? With the education you will receive at the Utah College of Massage Therapy, that career can be yours.
Massage therapy is a flexible and rewarding career in which you not only take care of others – you also take care of yourself! You can work in a resort spa, cruise ship, medical office, sports clinic, destination spa, or a day spa close to home. You can even start your own private practice!
Classes start November 13!
- Professional Massage Therapy Program
Take your career to the next step with IntelliTec College. We offer programs for careers in the business, computer, healthcare, beauty & personal appearance, technical trades and exercise & wellness fields at our three campuses in Colorado Springs, Pueblo, and Grand Junction, Colorado.
- Massage Therapy
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Kaplan University Online Degree Programs
- Attend college on your terms. Kaplan University offers fully online degree programs that fit any schedule.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
Get hands-on training at Avalon School of Cosmetology. We offer programs in cosmetology, master esthetician, and make-up artistry.
- Makeup Artist
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
It is vital that the student ensure that his or her program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE).
This organization sets professional standards for all physical therapy assistant programs in the nation, and ensures that they provide the education the students will need to effectively fulfill their duties as a physical therapy assistant.
Utah will not accept non-accredited programs, so the student should check with his collage and the CAPTE to ensure that the program is currently in good standing before enrolling.
Taking the NPTE
The NPTE is a comprehensive national test that is designed to effectively evaluate the candidate’s practical and academic qualifications to be a physical therapist assistant.
The candidate should be certain that he or she is prepared for the exam, as failing the NPTE will delay the individual’s ability to obtain a license until the next schedule exam date.
The Legal Examination
Like many states, Utah also administers a legal exam to ensure that the physical therapist assistant is fully aware of his or her duties and rights under state law.
This is a very important step, as there are many services that a physical therapist assistant is not allowed to provide without the direct supervision and authorization of a supervising physical therapist or physician.
Licensure by Endorsement
If the individual has already obtained a license in another state, he or she may attempt to be licensed by endorsement. The individual must have his or her home state transmit a verification of the license and the NPTE scores to the Utah Board. Finally, individuals who are seeking licensure by endorsement must still take the legal examination before becoming licensed in Utah.
The Benefits of Becoming a Physical Therapy Assistant in Utah
The employment of physical therapy assistants in Utah is currently enjoying a period of sustained growth. The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) estimates that the national employment levels for physical therapist assistants will grow by 46 percent by 2020.
When coupled with the retirement of currently practicing assistants, this will lead to excellent employment opportunities for new physical therapist assistants. In addition, the median annual salary for physical therapy assistants in Utah is over $41,000, which favorably compares with other professional occupations that require the same level of education and licensure.
By becoming a physical therapy assistant, an individual can enter a financially and personally rewarding career. In addition, by becoming a vital part of America’s healthcare sector, the physical therapy assistant is respected by professionals and patients alike. For these reasons, those interested in a healthcare career should consider becoming physical therapy assistants.