New York State and Physical Therapist Assistants
As one of the most heavily populated states in America, New York currently has a growing demand for high quality medical care, including the provision of physical therapy for a wide range of medical conditions.
Because of this, becoming a physical therapy assistant (PTA) in New York can be an excellent career choice for individuals seeking a long-term, respected and well-compensated career.
Physical Therapist Assistants in New York
New York has a dynamic population mixture, ranging from the heavily urbanized regions such as New York City, to suburban and rural areas. Because of this, PTAs in the state have a varied number of employment opportunities, ranging from working in doctor’s offices to employment in large clinics or hospitals.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), currently there are over 3,500 PTAs employed in the state, and this number is expected to increase dramatically by 2020, with the BLS estimating an overall increase in available national PTA jobs of at least 45 percent.
When coupled with job attrition due to retirements and other factors, this indicates that the field will continue to provide excellent job opportunities for newly licensed PTAs.
What Does a PTA Do?
A PTA assists other medical professionals in planning, implementing and evaluating a course of physical therapy for the patients he or she is working with.
In most cases, every patient receives an individualized course of treatment, which demands a close attention to detail on the part of the PTA.
PTAs are often employed by the following types of establishments:
- Ambulatory care clinics, where they provide physical therapy on an outpatient basis.
- Convalescent and retirement homes.
- Sports medicine and rehabilitation centers.
- In home care for individuals who suffer from mobility issues.
In most cases, a PTA does not have to endure unscheduled overtime, although some fields, most notably hospital physical therapy services, may demand overtime. In addition, many PTAs work a regular office shift, which can be important for individuals who are currently caring for minor children.
The PTA provides his or her patients with a wide range of services. Common PTA duties include the following:
- Instructing the patient in how to carry out the planned course of physical therapy.
- Providing physical assistance to the patient during the course of physical therapy.
- Educating family members and other caregivers in how to assist the patient in safely carrying out his or her therapy.
- Assisting individuals who have lost a limb in learning how to use a prosthetic replacement.
- For patients with mobility issues, the PTA will help train them in how to safely and effectively use wheelchairs and other mobility enhancing devices.
Becoming a PTA in New York
New York mandates that all practicing PTAs must be licensed. For New York, the requirements for a new PTA include the following:
- Completing a state registered or Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE) accredited program of study.
- Taking and successfully passing the National Physical Therapist Assistant Examination (NPTE).
Completing a PTA Program
There is a wide variety of options for individuals seeking to complete a physical therapy assistant program. Community colleges, vocational training centers and adult education schools all offer physical therapy assistant programs.
In most cases, these programs take approximately two years for a full-time student to complete. In addition, most schools have part-time programs for those students who cannot attend on a full-time basis due to other commitments.
However, a part-time program will usually take longer to complete, depending on the student’s precise schedule.
It is very important to ensure that the program is either registered with New York, or has been accredited by the CAPTE. This not only ensures that the student’s education will be accepted by the state, but also shows that the school provides a high quality education in this field.
Students who have attended a school that is not registered or CAPTE accredited must demonstrate that their education is substantially equal to that of an accredited institution. This is most commonly an issue for students who have graduated from a foreign school.
In this case, the student must provide the required information to the New York Office of the Professions. Because evaluating the student’s course work may take some time, it is important to provide this information as soon as possible.
The NPTE is a comprehensive examination that evaluates all aspects of the candidate’s skill in the field of physical therapy. While New York does not limit the number of times an individual can retake the NPTE, failing this exam will delay the licensure of the candidate, so it is important to be prepared to pass the examination.
Licensure by Endorsement
New York also provides licensure by endorsement for individuals who have been licensed in another state.
In general, these individuals must have at least three years of experience in the field, obtained no earlier than seven years before their application, as well as completing educational and test requirements that are substantially equal to New York’s licensure requirements.
Even individuals currently licensed in another state cannot practice in New York until they meet these requirements.
Becoming a PTA can be an excellent career decision, whether the individual is thinking of transitioning to a more rewarding career or a newly graduated adult who is preparing to enter the job market. As part of a profession that is well compensated and enjoys a great deal of professional and public respect, a PTA can expect to enjoy a personally and professionally rewarding career.
Physical Therapist Assiatant Schools In New York
New England Institute of Technology is a private, non-profit, co-educational technical university offering over 50 Associate in Science, Bachelor of Science and Master of Science degree programs. As a leader in technical career education in southern New England, New England Institute of Technology (also known as New England Tech or NEIT) is committed to providing hands-on technological programs that prepare graduates for positions of leadership in the technical, industrial, business, and allied health communities. Most of our associate degree programs can be completed in as little as 18 months, and bachelor’s degree programs in as little as three years. Last year, over 3,000 students chose New England Tech for the hands-on laboratory and classroom training that provides the necessary skills to begin their technical careers.
- AS - Physical Therapist Assistant
- AS - Occupational Therapy Assistant
- BS - Rehabilitation Sciences
- Massage Therapy
Prepare for a Career That You Will Love … in Massage Therapy!
Do you want a career that offers the satisfaction of helping people and a work environment that is positive and exciting? With the education you will receive at the Connecticut Center for Massage Therapy, that career can be yours.
- Massage Therapy
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Massage Therapy
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- M.S. in Christian Counseling of Substance Abuse and Addictive Disorders
- Practical Nursing Training and Patient Care Technician programs are available at several Lincoln Tech campuses.
- Students get hands-on training from experienced RNs inside simulated hospital classrooms.
- Courses designed to train students about patient care, pharmacology, and more.
- Clinical rotations, public health fairs, blood drives, and similar events give students real word experience.
- Patient Care Technician
Founded in 1890, the NYU Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development is dedicated to educating students for social change both at the undergraduate and graduate levels. The School offers programs on campus and online in fields such as applied psychology, education, health, media, music, and art. All programs are led by expert faculty who encourage students to pursue knowledge and skills both inside and outside the classroom.
The [email protected] online program from NYU Steinhardt confers a master of arts in Counseling for Mental Health and Wellness degree. The [email protected] program is accredited by the Masters in Psychology and Counseling Accreditation Council (MPCAC) under the Masters in Counseling Accreditation Committee (MCAC) standards.
- Master of Mental Health Counseling
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4,285 students at campuses across the country (Chicago, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C.) and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years. TCSPP offers more than 20 degree programs and a wealth of opportunities for international experiences.
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
The Center For Natural Wellness School of Massage Therapy Offers:
- Full-time and Part-time Classes
- Hands-On Training in multiple modalities of bodywork
- Experienced and Dedicated Faculty
- Innovative and Cutting-edge Curriculum
- Financial Aid for those who qualify
- Scholarship and Grant Opportunities
- LIFETIME Career Placement Services
The Center for Natural Wellness School of Massage Therapy is the perfect place to start training for your massage therapy career.
- Diploma in Massage Therapy