Physical therapy is a growing field in the modern American healthcare sector.
Because of this, those individuals wishing to enter a field with excellent advancement and salary prospects should consider becoming a physical therapy assistant.
North Carolina is an example of a state where there is a great demand for physical therapy assistants by hospitals, clinics and individual practices alike.
What Are the Duties of a Physical Therapy Assistant?
Physical therapy is the field of using a variety of exercises to assist individuals in regaining their full physical capabilities after an accident or illness.
In addition, physical therapy is used to mitigate the symptoms of degenerative diseases such as arthritis. Among the elderly, physical therapy may also help delay the onset of dementia, helping the individual maintain an independent lifestyle for longer than would be the case without the use of physical therapy.
In general, a physical therapist assistant will work with physical therapists, physicians, and other medical professionals in helping to implement and evaluate a program of physical therapy for the patient.
Among the common duties of a physical therapist assistant are the following:
- The physical therapy assistant will assist in carrying out specific exercises and drills as part of a physical therapy plan established by the supervising therapist.
- Evaluate and report on the patient’s progress, and assist the physical therapist in determining if the program of therapy needs to be modified.
- Assist the patient in learning how to safely use physical therapy equipment, both in the clinic or hospital and at home.
- Assist caregivers in learning how to effectively work with the patient at home, including how to safely assist the patient in carrying out household tasks.
- The therapist assistant will help train mobility-impaired individuals in the use of equipment such as wheelchairs and walkers. In the case of individuals who have lost a limb due to amputation, this may include training in how to properly use a prosthetic device.
Becoming a Physical Therapy Assistant in North Carolina
Like all states, North Carolina requires that any practicing physical therapy assistant be licensed. The North Carolina Board of Physical Therapy Examiners has established the following criteria for awarding a candidate a license to practice in the state:
- Graduation from an accredited physical therapy assistant program.
- The candidate must successfully complete the National Physical Therapy Examination (NPTE).
- Finally, the candidate must pass a state jurisprudence examination.
- In some cases, an individual who has been licensed in another state may obtain licensure in North Carolina by endorsement.
Physical Therapist Assistant Programs
Physical therapist assistant programs are offered by a variety of schools, including community colleges and vocational schools. In most cases, it will take about two years for a full-time student to complete the program and receive his or her associate’s degree. These programs focus on both the theory and practice of physical therapy, preparing the student to effectively serve his or her patients under the direction of a physical therapist.
Many programs also offer part-time and distance learning options for those students who cannot attend the program on a standard schedule. This is especially important for the growing number of students who must work while attending the program.
In most cases, these students attend their classes in the evenings and on the weekends. Finally, some classes can be taken online, which allows the student to complete them from home at his or her own pace.
In order to be accepted by North Carolina, a physical therapy assistant program must be accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE). This agency ensures that the program complies with the professional and academic requirements for training students in the field of physical therapy. In addition, CAPTE will periodically review a program to ensure that it remains in compliance with the agency’s standards.
Selet PTA Schools
At South College we welcome students from all different stages of life and career. Whether you are pursing a degree for the first time, going back to school as an adult learner, or furthering your career with an advanced degree, our faculty and staff will partner with you to give your dreams direction.
- BS Health Science (Post PTA)
- AAS Physical Therapist Assistant
- AS Occupational Therapy Assistant
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Massage Therapy
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
Prepare for a Health Care Career in as Few as 8 Months at Southeastern Institute!
At Southeastern Institute we’ll help you choose the health care program that is perfect for your personal growth and interests, and will support you at every step along the way. Receive hands-on instruction from caring instructors with practical experience in the fields in which they teach. Southeastern Institute’s small class sizes and individualized attention can be just what you need to succeed.
- Professional Clinical Massage Therapy
- Kaplan University Online Degree Programs
- Attend college on your terms. Kaplan University offers fully online degree programs that fit any schedule.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
The Salon & Spa industry offers you the personal freedom and financial rewards you deserve! You could not have chosen a better time to follow your passion. Health and Style Institute will help you develop the skills you need to be successful in this magnificent industry. Our up to the minute, interactive training will help you reach beyond your limits.
- Certificate-Skin Care Therapy
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
As a student at South University, you will have the opportunity to learn from accomplished faculty members who have real-world experience in the subjects that they teach. Our small class sizes allow you to receive personalized attention from instructors, and the encouragement to recognize your goals for the future and the means to achieve them.
- Clinical Mental Health Counseling (MA)
Taking the NPTE
Upon graduation, the student may then take the NPTE. This is a comprehensive exam that is designed to evaluate all aspects of the student’s expertise. A student should only take the NPTE when he or she is confident of passage, as failing the NPTE will result in a delay in obtaining a physical therapist assistant’s license until the student can retake the test. Furthermore, the student may incur additional registration costs if he or she must retake the test.
The Jurisprudence Examination
Finally, the candidate must complete and pass a state jurisprudence examination. This exam is designed to ensure that the individual fully understands the rights and responsibilities of a physical therapist under the laws of North Carolina. There is no limit on how many times the student may retake this test, but a license will not be issued until the test is passed.
Licensure by Endorsement
Individuals who are licensed in another state may obtain a license by endorsement from North Carolina. However, they may not practice in the state until North Carolina has issued them a license, regardless of their status in any other state.
This requires that the state in which he or she is licensed in has requirements that are substantially equal to those of North Carolina. For that reason, any individual intending to move to North Carolina should contact the Board well in advance to ensure that he or she will qualify for licensure by endorsement.
Becoming a physical therapy assistant is an excellent choice for any individual who is interested in a career in the healthcare sector. In addition to promising salary and advancement options, physical therapy assistants enjoy a great deal of respect from their fellow medical professionals and the public alike.
These factors make this career one that can be both professionally and personally satisfying to those individuals who choose to enter the field of physical therapy.