Becoming a Physical Therapist Assistant in Mississippi
Mississippi has a robust and growing demand for physical therapy assistants. With a vibrant combination of urban and rural populations, as well as a growing number of elderly individuals, the importance of being able to provide effective physical therapy to all of the state’s residents is greater than ever.
Becoming a Licensed Physical Therapist Assistant in Mississippi
Mississippi requires that all practicing physical therapy assistants be licensed by the Mississippi State Board of Physical Therapy.
- Complete an accredited program of training for physical therapy assistants.
- Take and pass the National Physical Therapy Examination (NPTE) for physical therapy assistants.
- Take and pass the Mississippi jurisprudence examination.
- Submit to a comprehensive criminal background check.
- Finally, individuals licensed in another state that has similar requirements to Mississippi may obtain licensure by endorsement.
Completing a Physical Therapy Assistant Program
Most physical therapy assistant programs are offered by vocational schools or community colleges and confer an associate’s degree upon graduation.
In general, these programs take approximately two years for a full-time student to complete. Many of these programs also offer part-time schedules, allowing working students to complete the program at their own pace.
Physical therapist assistant programs include a mixture of academic and clinical instruction. Among other subjects, students are trained in how to provide effective physical therapy, recognize symptoms of illness or injury and avoid the spread of infection in the medical setting.
Finally, some programs allow their students to work on actual patients under the direct supervision of licensed physical therapists and other medical professionals.
Accredited Programs and Foreign Physical Therpist Assistant Programs
This organization evaluates programs and only accredits those that adhere to very high educational standards. Because of the importance of accreditation, a student should verify that his or her program is in good standing with CAPTE before entering it.
Foreign programs are not accredited by the CAPTE and Mississippi requires that they demonstrate a level of education that is equivalent to an accredited institution.
Graduates of foreign programs will have to submit complete information about the program’s curriculum to a credential review service as directed by the Mississippi Board.
Because the credential review process may require a lengthy period of evaluation, the candidate should submit this information as soon as possible.
Taking the NPTE
The NPTE is a comprehensive exam for physical therapists and physical therapist assistants. This exam evaluates the candidate’s academic and practical knowledge in the field of physical therapy.
In order to pass the NPTE in Mississippi, the student must score at least 600 on the test. While it is possible to retake the NPTE, this can seriously delay the licensure process and so a candidate should only schedule the NPTE when he or she is confident of passing the examination.
The State Jurisprudence Examination
The jurisprudence examination focuses on ensuring that the candidate is fully aware of the state of Mississippi law as it pertains to the practice of physical therapy.
This test may be retaken as many times as necessary, but it is extremely important that the candidate understand his or her responsibilities under Mississippi law.
Failure to abide by the various regulations regarding physical therapy assistants can result in the suspension or revocation of the individual’s license to practice in Mississippi.
The State Background Check
There are a variety of criminal and civil offenses that may result in the individual being rendered unable to obtain a license in Mississippi.
For this reason, the state requires a comprehensive background check before allowing the candidate to obtain a license.
Individuals who feel that they may have a background that could impact their ability to practice in the state should discuss this with their program faculty or the Board itself in order to determine what steps, if any, they must take to ensure that they can obtain a license in Mississippi.
Physical therapy assistants are currently enjoying excellent job and salary options. The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) has determined that physical therapy assistants are likely to enjoy a 46 percent expansion of available careers until 2020.
This, combined with the attrition among currently employed physical therapy assistants, will ensure that newly graduated physical therapy assistants will enter a field that has a high level of demand for new employees.
In addition, the current annual mean salary for Mississippi physical therapy assistants is almost $43,000. When combined with Mississippi’s low cost of living, this level of salary compares favorably with the national average for physical therapy assistants.
Becoming a physical therapy assistant is an excellent choice in today’s economy. With a growing demand for physical therapy providers at every level of the healthcare sector, physical therapy assistants in Mississippi will continue to enjoy a high level of respect in a professionally and personally rewarding field.
PTA Schools In Mississippi
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Nursing Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- You Can Find Nursing, RN to BSN, LVN/LPN Degree Programs and More.
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and Get Matched to Your Perfect Nursing Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
Blue Cliff College was founded in New Orleans, Louisiana in 1987 with the goal of becoming one of the most respected Massage Therapy training centers in the nation. In June of 1989, the College in Louisiana received its Proprietary School License from the state. In 1998, the Continuing Education College was proud to receive accreditation from the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC). The Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC) is a recognized accrediting agency by the US Department of Education.
- Kaplan University Online Degree Programs
- Attend college on your terms. Kaplan University offers fully online degree programs that fit any schedule.
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.