Physical therapy is an increasingly important part of any integrated healthcare system. Because of this, there is a growing demand for physical therapists and physical therapist assistants in the United States.
For those wishing to enter a personally rewarding field with excellent professional and salary prospects, becoming a physical therapist in Colorado can be a very wise choice.
The Importance of Physical Therapy and the Physical Therapist Assistant
Physical therapy is a vital part of many healthcare solutions. Whether it is assisting an individual to regain their full physical capabilities after a traumatic accident or a part of a long-term treatment plan for a degenerative disease, physical therapy is used at every stage of the healthcare process.
Among the more common uses for physical therapy are the following:
- Helping with the rehabilitation of individuals who have suffered traumatic or disabling injuries.
- Allowing individuals who have been bed-bound for a long period of time to regain the physical strength and skill needed to become mobile.
- Assisting in the mitigation of ongoing degenerative diseases involving the muscular or nervous systems.
- Helping individuals who have suffered the amputation of a limb to learn how to effectively use prosthetic replacements.
- Long-term physical therapy is often effective in helping the elderly maintain their independence for as long as possible.
While physical therapists are usually in charge of planning out the general course of treatment, physical therapist assistants are a vital part of ensuring that the treatment is effectively carried out. They work with the patient, other medical professionals and the patient’s family in order to provide the best possible therapy for the patient.
In addition, the physical therapist assistant helps train caregivers in how to best continue to provide the physical therapy once the patient has been discharged from the medical facility.
In many cases, physical therapist assistants also provide in home care for the patient in order to evaluate the patient’s progress and determine if any changes to his or her program of therapy is required.
These evaluations are then shared with physical therapists and other caregivers as a part of the evaluation process. In addition to that, the physical therapist assistant ensures that the patient and family understand how to safely and effectively use any exercise or mobility aids that the patient requires.
Becoming a Physical Therapist Assistant
The State Physical Therapy Board has developed the following requirements for any individual wishing to practice as a physical therapy assistant in Colorado:
- Complete a program for physical therapy assistants offered by an accredited school.
- Take the National Physical Therapy Examination (NPTE), and obtain a passing score.
- Submit a complete application to the Board.
Physical Therapist Assistant Programs
A number of community colleges and vocational programs in Colorado offer physical therapy assistant programs.
These programs usually take two years for a full-time student to complete and confer an associate’s degree upon graduation. They focus on the academic and practical knowledge required to become a physical therapist assistant, and include both classroom and hands on experience.
In order to be accepted by Colorado, all physical therapy assistant programs must be accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE).
This authority ensures that accredited programs adhere to industry wide standards in education, ensuring that all students will receive an effective education. A prospective student should always be certain to verify that his or her program is currently in good standing with CAPTE.
Physical Therapist Assistant Programs In Colorado
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
Take your career to the next step with IntelliTec College. We offer programs for careers in the business, computer, healthcare, beauty & personal appearance, technical trades and exercise & wellness fields at our three campuses in Colorado Springs, Pueblo, and Grand Junction, Colorado.
- Massage Therapy
- Kaplan University Online Degree Programs
- Attend college on your terms. Kaplan University offers fully online degree programs that fit any schedule.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- B.S. in Behavioral Health Science - Trauma
Are you un-employed, under-employed or looking for a stable career where you can make a real difference? Well then, you have come to the right place.
At locally-owned and nationally accredited IBMC College, you can train for a rewarding, new career, all in as little as 6-23 months! With nearly 20 program options to choose from, at nearby campuses, you will find the path that is just the right fit for you.
- Certificate-Esthetician (Skin Care)
Prepare for a Career That You Will Love … in Massage Therapy!
Do you want a career that offers the satisfaction of helping people and a work environment that is positive and exciting? With the education you will receive at the Denver School of Massage Therapy, that career can be yours.
Classes start November 13!
- Professional Massage Therapy
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- View Associates, Bachelors or Graduate Degree Programs in Psychology Near YOU!
- Enter YOUR Needs and Requirements. Get Matched to the Perfect Campus or Online Degree Programs for You.
- Free information for Psychology, Counseling Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- Accredited, Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
Taking the NPTE
The NPTE is a comprehensive national exam that is designed to ensure that any passing candidate has fully mastered the knowledge he or she will need as a physical therapist assistant. Although it is possible to repeat the examination is the candidate fails to pass, this will result in a delay in receiving a license and so it is vital that the candidate be fully prepared to pass the examination the first time he or she takes it.
Licensure by Endorsement
Finally, if the individual has already obtained a physical therapist assistant’s license in another state, Colorado permits licensure by endorsement.
Licensure by endorsement has a number of requirements that must be met before an individual can qualify to practice in Colorado. For this reason, anyone intending to move to Colorado and seek licensure by endorsement is advised to contact the Board as early as possible to ensure that their state currently qualifies.
Becoming a physical therapist assistant is an excellent path to a well-regarded and compensated medical career. Due to the continuing growth of the physical therapy healthcare sector, career opportunities in this field will continue to grow for the foreseeable future. For this reason, individuals interested in a career in healthcare should seriously consider becoming a physical therapist assistant.