Physical therapy is a vital part of America’s healthcare sector. Because of this, physical therapists and physical therapy assistants are finding themselves in greatly increased demand.
By becoming a physical therapy assistant in Oklahoma, an individual can enter a field that is both professionally and personally rewarding.
Becoming a Physical Therapy Assistant
Physical therapy assistants in Oklahoma must be licensed by the Oklahoma State Board of Medical Licensure and Supervision. Even those physical therapist assistants who are currently licensed in another state must obtain a state license before they can practice in Oklahoma. In order to obtain licensure, the candidate must complete the following steps:
- Successfully complete an accredited physical therapy assistant program.
- Take and pass the National Physical Therapy Examination (NPTE) for physical therapy assistants.
- Pass an extended background check.
- Individuals who have been licensed in another state, District of Columbia, or Puerto Rico may apply to obtain licensure by endorsement.
The Physical Therapist Assistant Program
Physical therapy assistant programs are usually offered by community colleges and vocational schools.
In most cases, completing a physical therapy assistant program takes approximately two years for a full-time student.
Upon graduation, the student receives an associate’s degree.
The physical therapy assistant program covers all aspects of the duties of the physical therapy assistant. Among the main subjects that will be studied are the following:
- Human anatomy and physiology.
- Proper physical therapy techniques for the patient.
- Recognizing and identifying patient needs.
- Effective medical reporting techniques.
- The specific requirements for safely providing geriatric and pediatric physical therapy.
In most cases, the program will have a combination of classroom and clinical study. Additionally, some programs allow their students to work with actual patients while under the supervision of medical professionals.
For those students who cannot attend the program on a regular schedule, many schools offer part-time study options. This can be especially useful for students who are currently working or who have other obligations.
While many schools will allow some classes to be taken online, most physical therapy assistant programs will require their students to attend some courses in person in order to obtain hands on experience.
Pursue your education with Platt College (Oklahoma). We offer hands-on training programs in the culinary arts, allied health, and nursing fields.
*Programs vary by location.
*High school diploma or GED required.
*Licensed by OBPVS.
- Massage Therapy
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Certificate in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
As a community of initiative, University of the Southwest challenges graduates to become enterprising members of our society contributing to the common good by advocating and participating in the productive commerce of free enterprise, the constitutional privilege of self-government, and the practical contributions of community service.
- MSEd: Mental Health Counseling
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
Generally, Oklahoma will only accept degrees from schools that have been accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE). The CAPTE ensures that all accredited programs adhere to the highest educational standards and provide an up to date education in the field of physical therapy.
A student can verify that his or her program is in good standing by contacting the CAPTE or his program’s school administration. A student should never enter a program that is not currently accredited by the CAPTE.
Students who have obtained their degree from a foreign institution must submit evidence that their program is equivalent to a CAPTE accredited program. This process may take some time, so any student intending on practicing in Oklahoma should submit this information as soon as possible.
After obtaining an associate’s degree, the student must take and successfully complete the NPTE for physical therapy assistants. This test is a comprehensive exam that evaluates the student’s academic and practical skills in the field of physical therapy.
Oklahoma only permits a student to take the NPTE twice. Should the student fail to pass the test twice, then he or she must contact the Board in order to determine what other actions must be taken in order to permit the student to retake the test for a third time.
For that reason, it is very important that candidates only take the NPTE when they are confident that they are ready to pass the examination.
Licensure by Endorsement
For individuals who are currently licensed in another state, Oklahoma may permit licensure by endorsement. This requires that the candidate’s current state have requirements for licensure that are substantially equal to Oklahoma’s.
It is important that anyone planning to move to Oklahoma submit their information to the Board as early as possible in order to avoid unneeded delays in the endorsement process.
The State Background Check
Oklahoma requires a comprehensive background check of all applicants for licensure. Some criminal convictions may require that the Board further examine the candidate or may in fact make the candidate ineligible for state licensure. Any candidate who believes that their background check may become an issue should immediately contact the Board in order to determine if there is any threat to their ability to be licensed in Oklahoma.
Becoming a physical therapy assistant is an excellent choice in today’s economy. The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) estimates that the number of jobs in this field will increase by 46 percent between 2010 and 2020. When combined with job vacancies due to retirement, this ensures that the field will continue enjoy robust and sustained growth. Finally, the average salary for this field is extremely competitive when compared to other professions with similar educational requirements, making a job as a physical therapist assistant an ideal choice for individuals who are interested in a career in healthcare.