Physical therapy is a vital part of America’s healthcare sector. Because of this, physical therapists and physical therapy assistants are finding themselves in greatly increased demand.
By becoming a physical therapy assistant in Oklahoma, an individual can enter a field that is both professionally and personally rewarding.
Becoming a Physical Therapy Assistant
Physical therapy assistants in Oklahoma must be licensed by the Oklahoma State Board of Medical Licensure and Supervision. Even those physical therapist assistants who are currently licensed in another state must obtain a state license before they can practice in Oklahoma. In order to obtain licensure, the candidate must complete the following steps:
- Successfully complete an accredited physical therapy assistant program.
- Take and pass the National Physical Therapy Examination (NPTE) for physical therapy assistants.
- Pass an extended background check.
- Individuals who have been licensed in another state, District of Columbia, or Puerto Rico may apply to obtain licensure by endorsement.
The Physical Therapist Assistant Program
Physical therapy assistant programs are usually offered by community colleges and vocational schools.
In most cases, completing a physical therapy assistant program takes approximately two years for a full-time student.
Upon graduation, the student receives an associate’s degree.
The physical therapy assistant program covers all aspects of the duties of the physical therapy assistant. Among the main subjects that will be studied are the following:
- Human anatomy and physiology.
- Proper physical therapy techniques for the patient.
- Recognizing and identifying patient needs.
- Effective medical reporting techniques.
- The specific requirements for safely providing geriatric and pediatric physical therapy.
In most cases, the program will have a combination of classroom and clinical study. Additionally, some programs allow their students to work with actual patients while under the supervision of medical professionals.
For those students who cannot attend the program on a regular schedule, many schools offer part-time study options. This can be especially useful for students who are currently working or who have other obligations.
While many schools will allow some classes to be taken online, most physical therapy assistant programs will require their students to attend some courses in person in order to obtain hands on experience.
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
Pursue your education with Platt College (Oklahoma). We offer hands-on training programs in the culinary arts, allied health, and nursing fields.
*Programs vary by location.
*High school diploma or GED required.
*Licensed by OBPVS.
- Massage Therapy
Blue Cliff College was founded in New Orleans, Louisiana in 1987 with the goal of becoming one of the most respected Massage Therapy training centers in the nation. In June of 1989, the College in Louisiana received its Proprietary School License from the state. In 1998, the Continuing Education College was proud to receive accreditation from the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC). The Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC) is a recognized accrediting agency by the US Department of Education.
- Massage Therapy - Diploma
- Kaplan University Online Degree Programs
- Attend college on your terms. Kaplan University offers fully online degree programs that fit any schedule.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
Generally, Oklahoma will only accept degrees from schools that have been accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE). The CAPTE ensures that all accredited programs adhere to the highest educational standards and provide an up to date education in the field of physical therapy.
A student can verify that his or her program is in good standing by contacting the CAPTE or his program’s school administration. A student should never enter a program that is not currently accredited by the CAPTE.
Students who have obtained their degree from a foreign institution must submit evidence that their program is equivalent to a CAPTE accredited program. This process may take some time, so any student intending on practicing in Oklahoma should submit this information as soon as possible.
After obtaining an associate’s degree, the student must take and successfully complete the NPTE for physical therapy assistants. This test is a comprehensive exam that evaluates the student’s academic and practical skills in the field of physical therapy.
Oklahoma only permits a student to take the NPTE twice. Should the student fail to pass the test twice, then he or she must contact the Board in order to determine what other actions must be taken in order to permit the student to retake the test for a third time.
For that reason, it is very important that candidates only take the NPTE when they are confident that they are ready to pass the examination.
Licensure by Endorsement
For individuals who are currently licensed in another state, Oklahoma may permit licensure by endorsement. This requires that the candidate’s current state have requirements for licensure that are substantially equal to Oklahoma’s.
It is important that anyone planning to move to Oklahoma submit their information to the Board as early as possible in order to avoid unneeded delays in the endorsement process.
The State Background Check
Oklahoma requires a comprehensive background check of all applicants for licensure. Some criminal convictions may require that the Board further examine the candidate or may in fact make the candidate ineligible for state licensure. Any candidate who believes that their background check may become an issue should immediately contact the Board in order to determine if there is any threat to their ability to be licensed in Oklahoma.
Becoming a physical therapy assistant is an excellent choice in today’s economy. The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) estimates that the number of jobs in this field will increase by 46 percent between 2010 and 2020. When combined with job vacancies due to retirement, this ensures that the field will continue enjoy robust and sustained growth. Finally, the average salary for this field is extremely competitive when compared to other professions with similar educational requirements, making a job as a physical therapist assistant an ideal choice for individuals who are interested in a career in healthcare.